— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) July 1, 2016
Neymar Da Silva has extended his contract with the Catalans, to ensure his stay at the club for the next 5 years.
A formal presentation of the agreement has been scheduled on the 15th of July, in Barcelona – just before Neymar rejoins his national side for the Olympic Games.
Barcelona president Josep Bartomeu confirmed last week that the club was conducting meetings with Neymar, even writing on Twitter that he was “very happy to continue living this dream.”
The Brazilian forward has ended all speculation about a potential transfer away from Barcelona, signing a brand new contract to replace the previous contract that was set to end in 2018. His new buyout clause is believed to be €200 million for the first year of the deal, €222m for the second and €250m for the remaining three years.
This means that should Neymar decide he wants a move away from Barcelona in the next five years, he himself will be liable to pay these large amounts of money (that’s the difference between buyout and release clauses).
It has also been reported that the Brazilian will receive a salary increase and will now be earning up to €15 million a year – not too bad for the young superstar.
Neymar joined the Catalan giants 3 years ago, in a controversial move that raised many eyebrows. Most of his transfer fee was said to be given to his agent (his father), instead of his previous club – Santos FC.
Barcelona were also forced to pay a £4.3 million fine regarding the whole transfer fiasco.
Before the contract extension, Manchester United and Paris-Saint Germain were said to be looking for the Brazilian as a potential signing.
The Brazilian has been playing with sublime form, netting 55 goals in his 93 La Liga games for Barcelona. The stats tell us that he has scored a goal in every other game – massively impressive for the 24-year old.