With Manchester United in the Champions League for next season, Jose Mourinho is likely to revamp his current squad. However, the Portuguese is said to be limiting the summer spending to three or four key signings instead of the futile expenditure the club has done in the past couple of years.
As reported by BBC, Jose Mourinho said that United’s executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward has had his list of targets “for more than two months”.
“Ed Woodward has my list. Now it’s up to him and the owners,” the United boss stated after his side beat Ajax to clinch the Europa League title for the first time on Wednesday.
Mourinho is set to bolster his attacking and defensive line-up in order to challenge for the Premier League title next season. The Red Devils have been regularly linked with Atletico Madrid striker Antoine Griezmann and Burnley centre-back Michael Keane.
Griezmann, who has a £100 million release clause in his contract, commented on his transfer situation earlier this week, saying that his chances of joining the Premier League giants were “6 out of 10”.
Also, a major deal-breaker barrier was removed by United, after they secured a return to Champions League football by going straight into the group stages after their victory over Ajax in Stockholm.
The French striker fits the Red Devils’ squad quite perfectly with his pace and trickery – skills that United currently lack. But if the move comes to a dead end, Torino forward Andrea Belotti, who has scored 25 goals in Serie A this season, is another option that United have eyes on.
Burnley defender Michael Keane is the next target that United would like to bring back, after the 24-year-old moved to Turf Moor in January 2015. Also, Mourinho is known to be eager to bring the former United man back to Old Trafford next season, viewing predecessor Louis van Gaal’s decision to sell the centre-back for £2m as a mistake.
Once again joining Europe’s elite competition means United have avoided the potential loss of £50 million in sponsorship income and prize money.
However, as reported by one senior club source, the forthcoming summer transfer window is likely to be “crazy”, given the increased spending power within the Premier League as a result of the new £8.3 billion TV deal.
Written by Sidharth Jindal
Sports fanatic with a passion for writing (predominantly football) and “Wants to live life to its fullest.” Writes about the Premier League on his personal blog.