Mourinho’s Reaction On Marcus Rashford Red Card Incident

REUTERS/Phil Noble

Manchester United tasted some much-needed victory at Turf Moor as they beat Burnley 2-0.

However, the final scoreline didn’t reflect the mood of the match entirely, as the game that ought to have been settled in favour of the Red Devils after a first-half brace from Romelu Lukaku seemed on the verge of chaos in the second half.

After Paul Pogba missed a simple penalty won by substitute Marcus Rashford, the young Manchester United forward got into a brawl with Phil Bardsley which resulted in him being sent off.

In his defense, Rashford was responding to a late kick from the Burnley man, which the referee missed, while his headbutt wasn’t.

WATCH: How Alexis Sanchez Reacted After Mourinho Subbed Him

As a result, red was evident for the Englishman, although Bardsley too deserved the suspension. Now, Jose Mourinho has had his say on the matter.


Burnley 0-2 Manchester United: 5 Talking Points

Speaking after the game, Mourinho predictably declared: “I don’t know what happened. I would say it was naive. It was a kid and a very experienced man. Bardsley’s been in the game for 20 years and Marcus is a naive boy.”

The gaffer can be allowed for being critical of the youngster, particularly in view of how badly the Red Devils required the win following their worst start to a Premier League campaign in 26 years.

However, one must also consider that Rashford, who is already starved of game-time, must have been really frustrated by the tackle on him and doubly disappointed by the referee’s decision.

At the end of the day, he ought to have known better, and having been awarded the first red card of his career will hopefully serve as a message for the rest of his tenure.

About their general performance, which was quite tense for the last 20 minutes, when the side had to play with ten men, Mourinho had this to say: “They played very well as a team, and there were very good individual performances and we should score many more goals. The result shouldn’t have been open until the last minute.”