According to the Sunday Express, Chelsea manager Antonio Conte has told club officials to sign Antoine Griezmann next summer.
Griezmann was an integral member of both his club and country last season, after he managed to help Atletico reach the Champions League final, and France to the UEFA Euro 2016 final.
However, the French winger lost out on both occasions to a team led by Cristiano Ronaldo, and he subsequently lost the UEFA Player of the Year award to the Portuguese captain.
Antoine’s efforts, however, have not gone unnoticed, and several high-profile clubs have been looking for his signature.
SUBSCRIBE to BlameFootball on Youtube
Manchester United were believed to be front-runners in the race for Griezmann, but Chelsea have now entered the race, and Conte has reportedly told club officials that they should do all it takes to sign the 25-year-old.
Griezmann currently has an £86 million release clause in his contract with Atletico Madrid, but it is likely that Chelsea may have to table a much larger bid to convince the player to leave Madrid. The bid would most probably eclipse Paul Pogba’s current transfer record of £89 million.
Antoine joined Atletico Madrid back in 2014 after the Spanish giants activated the £24 million buyout clause in his Sociedad contract. He has since made over 100 appearances for the club, and scored 59 goals – an impressive tally considering his primary playing position is on the wings.
Griezmann’s current contract with Atletico Madrid keeps him at the club until 2021.
The Euro 2016 Player of the tournament already made it clear that he will not be open to a move away from Atletico Madrid as long as current boss Diego Simeone remains at the club.
However, reports from last week mentioned that Simeone is considering leaving his current club, as he has failed to win a Champions League trophy despite reaching the final of the competition twice.