Manchester City are not making a move for Virgil van Dijk in the January window, according to Pep Guardiola.
25-year-old Van Dijk, who has been a reported transfer target for both the Manchester clubs, has impressed vastly since his move to Southampton 18 months ago.
He was recently linked with a £50 million switch to the Etihad. Furthermore, the Dutchman was even seen in a City shirt this week, after being gifted the jersey by a “Secret Santa” teammate at St Mary’s.
Defence has been a major concern for City so far, but Guardiola has claimed that the only time he will watch van Dijk this season is when his team play Southampton on April 15.
“Next month, Van Dijk here? We’re going to Southampton to play against them. He’s not going to come here next month. Impossible,” Guardiola said during a press conference.
“He’s a Southampton player and we don’t want him now. We’re going to Southampton to play against them, that’s sure.”
However, Guardiola hasn’t ruled out making a January signing, by stating he may consider signing a full-back when the transfer window opens.
When asked about any defensive reinforcements, the Spaniard replied: “If you ask me today, no. But maybe next week we’re going to change and we realise we need something special in one position to keep one more player in that position, especially in the full-backs. But the other positions we are quite happy.”
City have missed captain Vincent Kompany badly for much of the season due to persistent injuries, and the Belgian’s experience and composure will be needed very soon.
But Guardiola still has confidence in John Stones, who was out for the last two games after going through a tough time in the 4-2 loss to Leicester City earlier this month.
“It’s the first time in his career he played every three days – it had never happened before with the Champions League and the League Cup and every three days you have to be focused,” Guardiola said.