Mexican Winger Hirving Lozano To Move To Celta Vigo

Mexico's Hirving Lozano reacts.

REUTERS/Edgard Garrido

Celta Vigo have signed Hirving Lozano following months of speculation. The 21-year old is expected to land in Spain after taking part in the Confederations Cup.

Celta Vigo have agreed on a deal with his present club, Pachuca, according to AS Mexico. The report says that Celta’s directors purchased 80% of the player for €14 million, with Pachuca keeping the other 20% in the hopes of making some profit on a possible future sale.

This remaining 20% was a cause for contention during negotiations. This reportedly forced the Spanish club’s president, Carlos Mourino, to travel to Mexico himself. The club relented in the end, allowing Lozano to move to Spain.

The winger himself, however, has repeatedly said that he would want to move to Manchester United. This even led to some rumours linking him to Old Trafford, but it wasn’t to be.

“I believe many [leagues] are beautiful, I like the English and the Spanish very much,” Lozano told Univision. “But let’s see how things are and decide. The one I would like most is Manchester United, I like this club a lot and it’s a very important club.”

Lozano has played 149 games for Pachuca, scoring 43 times in the process. This is remarkable for a winger, and Celta will hope that he can combine well with Iago Aspas and co. in the forward line next season.


Leave a Comment