Donny van de Beek’s loan stint at Eintracht Frankfurt hasn’t panned out as hoped with the midfielder still struggling for regular minutes.
The former Ajax starlet exited Manchester United early in January after failing to impress Erik ten Hag at Carrington. He agreed to move to the Bundesliga on loan for the remainder of the season.
It seems he’s yet to convince Dino Toppmöller of his quality or fitness levels as well. The Eintracht manager has so far handed Van de Beek four appearances in the Bundesliga. However, he overlooked the 26-year-old when naming his side’s squad for the Europa Conference League.
While explaining his bold decision, Toppmöller apologised to the player. He said (via Goal):
“He’s only played a total of four games in the last two years, so it won’t happen overnight. But I have 100 per cent confidence in his quality, he’ll definitely help us in the second half of the season. I told Donny that I was sorry but also what I expected from him now.”
The 43-year-old also didn’t include Van de Beek in his starting XI for Sunday’s encounter against Vfl Bochum. Instead, the Netherlands international was brought off the bench in the 21st minute for Hugo Larsson. The Dutchman was taken off before the full time whistle.
As part of the loan agreement, Eintracht reportedly have the option to sign Van de Beek permanently for a fee in the region of €11m. At this stage of the campaign, it seems unlikely they would trigger that clause. Fortunately for the player, there’s plenty of time in the season to show his skills.